GENERAL STUDIES I
|Subject||Detailed Topic Description|
|Current Affairs||Current events of national and international importance|
|History of India||History of India and Indian National Movement|
|Geography||Physical, Social and Economic geography of India and the World|
|Polity and Governance||Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues etc.|
|Economy and Social Issues||Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives|
|Environment and Ecology||General Issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change that do not require subject specialisation|
- Current Affairs are centred around the events and occurrences of the year preceding the date/ month of the exam i.e. If the Preliminary Exam is in June 2019 then the Current Affairs from May 2018 – April 2019 are relevant. But the current affairs are not restricted to his time line and 1 – 2 questions may come from earlier issues.
- History of India not only includes the political history but also has Art and Culture of India from ancient to the modern period as well. This includes – art, architecture, sculpture, literature, dances, theatre, music and festivals.
- Geography also entails map based questions, even though the map is not provided. The candidate must be familiar with the political and physical maps of India and the world.
- Environment and Ecology have increased in importance since the preliminary exam for Civil Services is also the preliminary exam for Indian Forest Services. This part includes both current affairs as well as static portion.
The Paper consists of 100 questions of 2 marks each. A correct answer fetches +2 marks and a wrong answer gets -0.67 marks. The duration of the paper is 2 hours
The General Studies I Paper is qualifying with the cut off being decided based on the number of vacancies. The marks from this stage are NOT added to the final total to ascertain the merit list.
GENERAL STUDIES II (CSAT)
|Interpersonal Skills including communication skills|
|Logical reasoning and analytical ability|
|Decision-making and problem-solving|
|General mental ability|
|Basic numeracy – Class X level|
|Data Interpretation – Class X level|
- This Paper tests basic aptitude with the difficulty level set more or less at the Class X level.
- It is not counted towards the merit and the candidate only needs to score 33% of the marks
- The Paper consists of 80 questions with each wrong answer fetching a negative 1/3rd marks. The duration of the paper is 2 hours.
TRENDS IN PRELIMINARY EXAM CUTOFFS IN VARIOUS YEARS
YEAR GENERAL OBC SC ST PH1 PH2 PH3 2018 98 96.66 84 83.34 73.34 53.34 40 2017 105.34 102.66 88.66 88.66 85.34 61.34 40 2016 116 110 99.34 96 75.34 72.66 40 2015 107.34 106 94 91.34 90.66 76.66 40
NOTE : The cutoff only contains marks of General Studies I Paper.