Today’s Current Affairs MCQs for Practice
(From The Hindu- 16- June 2022)
A yearbook released by SIPRI stated that India was the top weapons importer during the 2017-2021 period. What is the full form of SIPRI?
a) Sweden International Policy Research Institute
b) Shanghai International Peace Research Institute
c) Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
d) Switzerland International Policy Research Institute
The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released its yearbook a few days back highlighting some worrying trends of the past year in international security.
Read News: The fragile state of nuclear disarmament, Page No.10
Name the new legislation by the Boris Johnson administration which would enable the U.K. to override provisions of the Brexit deal that concern trading arrangements in Northern Ireland.
a) Northern Ireland Protocol Bill
b) Northern Ireland Brexit Rules Bill
c) Northern Ireland Trade Rules Bill
d) Northern Ireland Trade Protocol Bill
The Boris Johnson
administration has come up with a new legislation, the Northern Ireland
Protocol Bill, which would enable the U.K. to override provisions of the Brexit
deal that concern trading arrangements in Northern Ireland.
Read News: The controversy around the Northern Ireland Protocol, Page 10
Pakistan’s Federal Minister for Planning Ahsan Iqbal urged people from his country to cut down on what essential daily commodity, to help bring down the country’s import bill?
Pakistan has urged its countrymen to cut down on the consumption of tea to help
reduce the import bill eating into the country’s depleting foreign exchange
Read: ‘Cutting chai’: a tip to save economy, Page 10
Which country, not part of the NATO, will attend the summit in Madrid later this month for the first time in the history of the transatlantic alliance?
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said on Wednesday he will attend this month’s NATO summit in Madrid, becoming the country’s first leader to join a top meeting of the transatlantic alliance.
Read : In a first, Japan to be part of NATO summit, Page 15
The Union Home Ministry has announced that youth recruited in the armed forces under the short-term ‘Agnipath’ scheme will get priority in recruitment to the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and _______.
a) Assam Rifles
b) National Security Guard
c) Indo-Tibetan Border Police
d) Central Reserve Police Force
Youth recruited in the armed forces under the short-term ‘Agnipath’ scheme will get priority in recruitment to the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and Assam Rifles, the Union Home Ministry announced on Wednesday.
Read: Agniveers to get priority in CAPF recruitment, Page No.12
Which former judge of the Supreme Court was named Chairperson of the Press Council of India?
a) Justice K.M. Joseph
b) Justice Chandramauli Kumar Prasad
c) Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai
d) Justice Hima Kohli
Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, a former judge of the Supreme Court, has been selected for the post of the Press Council of India (PCI) Chairperson.
Read News : Justice Desai is new Press Council chief, Page No.12
Wunna Maung Lwin is the foreign minister of which country?
The Hindu had earlier reported that India was unlikely to invite Myanmar Foreign Minister Wunna Maung Lwin.
Read: Myanmar unlikely to be part of ASEAN-India meeting, Page No.12
After the Cabinet approved the ‘Agnipath’ scheme for temporary recruitment to the armed forces, the Union Education Ministry said it will launch a three-year degree programme that will give credits to serving defence personnel who avail themselves of the scheme. The program will be designed and executed by _________.
a) Jawaharlal Nehru University
c) Kendriya Vidyalaya
IGNOU will enter
into an MoU with the Army, the Navy and the Indian Air Force to offer the
programme to their personnel.
Read: 3-year degree programme for Agnipath recruits, Page No.12
Which of the following is the objective of Bhavishya Portal?
a) Mapping the demand of skilled workforce
b) Pension sanction and payment tracking system
c) Promoting Women Farmers and Entrepreneurs
d) Centralized database of all unorganized workers
- It is an online Pension Sanction & Payment Tracking System launched by the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare.
- The aim of this portal is to ensure payment of all retirement dues and delivery of Pension Payment Order (PPO) to retiring employees on the day of retirement itself.
- The system obviates delays in payment of pension by ensuring complete transparency.
- The platform was made mandatory for all central government departments since 01.01.2017.
Consider the following statements:
1. India does not have a formal legal framework for dealing with hate speech.
2. Article 295A of Indian Constitution deals with the deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Hate Speech Law
- India does not have a formal legal framework for dealing with hate speech.
- However, a cluster of provisions, loosely termed hate speech laws deal with offences against religions.
- Section 295A defines and prescribes a punishment for deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.
- Section 153A of the Indian Penal Code penalises promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc, and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony.
- Section 505 of the IPC punishes statements conducing to public mischief.
Source- The Hindu Newspaper