Date-05 Dec 2019,Misc concepts in Daily Current Affairs–INDIA STATE OF FORESTS’ REPORT
Subject– Environment & ecology
Topic– Conservation of Environment
- Recently this data was shared in Parliament by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- According to the data, a quarter of India’s geographical area (24.49 %) is under forest and tree cover.
- Northeast crowds the list of states with most dense tree, forest cover.
- Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Meghalaya are among the top 6 states with highest forest and tree cover.
- The lowest forest and tree cover is in Haryana at 6.79 % of its geographical area. Punjab follows with 6.87 %.
- Top 3 States with maximum Forest cover (in terms of area):
- Madhya Pradesh (77,414 sq km)
- Arunachal Pradesh (66,964 sq km) and
- Chhattisgarh (55,547 sq).
- Top states with highest Forest cover in terms of percentage geographical area:
- Lakshadweep with (90.33%),
- Mizoram (86.27%) and
- Andaman & Nicobar Islands (81.73%)
- Rajasthan’s forest and tree cover is over 7.26% of its geographical area while Madhya Pradesh’s is 27.73 %.