Evaluate the potential benefits and challenges associated with the Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP) launched by the Indian Government. How can this program contribute to better policy-making, reduce land disputes, and foster economic development? Discuss. (15 Marks , 250 words)
The Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP) launched in 2016 by the Government of India aims to overhaul the existing land record system in the country.
The initiative is of immense importance, considering that land is a critical asset in India, with over 50 percent of the working population engaged in agriculture.
Demand of the Question: Analysis of DILRMP
1. Potential Benefits:
· The DILRMP, with its features such as Unique Land Parcel Identification Number (ULPIN), National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS), and the Records of Rights (RoR) has the potential to transform land governance in India.
· The ULPIN provides a 14-digit unique ID based on geo-coordinates, ensuring transparency and standardization of land records data.
· The NGDRS is designed to accommodate the diversity of deed/document registration across states, facilitating citizen empowerment through online deed entry and reducing time and cost at the Sub-Registrar level.
· Transliteration of the RoR in all 22 scheduled languages mentioned in the Indian Constitution addresses linguistic barriers in land governance, providing easier access to the citizens and stakeholders.
· Furthermore, the program can facilitate the provision of various services such as caste, income, and domicile certificates and offer online information on crop profiles, crop insurance, and credit facilities/banks linkage. This comprehensive land record management system can potentially help resolve long-pending arbitration cases and boundary-related disputes, easing the burden on the judiciary and administration.
Despite these potential benefits, implementing DILRMP faces numerous challenges. These include the issue of land ownership complexities due to historical factors, diversity of land laws and practices across states, ensuring data privacy and protection, technical glitches, capacity building of functionaries, and digital literacy among the farmers and rural populace.
Conclusion - Way Forward:
Successful implementation of DILRMP is a formidable but necessary task. It necessitates strong political will, inter-state cooperation, and robust IT infrastructure. Capacity building of administrative personnel and increasing digital literacy among the rural population are also vital. It is crucial to create an environment of transparency, accountability, and efficiency in land record management. With these measures in place, DILRMP can transform land governance in India, thereby fostering agricultural growth, facilitating ease of doing business, and ensuring social justice.
Comment on Digital India Land Records (Solved Answers)