WCD Ministry launches Bharatiya Poshan Krishi Kosh
♦ It aims to reduce malnutrition through a multi-sectoral results-based framework.
♦ It aims to address malnutrition and reinforce healthy dietary behaviours both at the individual and community level, including the variation in such practices across India.
♦ It will create the first-ever database that links relevant agro-food system data at the district to map the diversity of native crop varieties that will be more cost-effective and sustainable over the long run.
On this occasion, eminent agricultural scientist, Dr. M. S. Swaminathan, in his address, said that to make India nutrition secure a five-point action programme has to be implemented:
- Ensure calorie rich diet for women, expectant mothers and children
- Ensure intake of proteins in the form of pulses to eradicate protein hunger in women and children
- Eradicate hidden hunger due to deficiency of micro nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin B, Iron and Zinc
- Ensure clean drinking water supply
- Spreading nutrition literacy in every village particularly in mothers with children less than 100 days’ old
Members to discuss ‘Role of Rajya Sabha in Indian Polity : Need for Reform’
- VP is ex-officio chairman of Rajya Sabha
- Total membership is 250
- There is no difference b/w elected & nominated members except only elected members can participate in elections of President
- Office term for RS is 6 years with 1/3rdof members retiring every 2 years
- RS members are elected by legislative assembly of states & UTs by means of single transferable vote through proportional representation (Based on population)
- Only 4 members are elected from UTs
- No seat is reserved for SCs & STs
- Retired members of RS are eligible for re-election & re-nomination
- RS meets in continuous sessions & is not subjected to dissolution
- Salary & other benefits are same as Lok Sabha
- RS have equal footings in all the areas of legislation compared to Lok
Sabha except in area of supply, where Lok Sabha has overriding powers
- Must be citizen of India & have attained 30 years of age
- Must be a registered voter in parliamentary constituency in any of the state
- Subscribe before election commission an oath, as prescribed by 3rdschedule
|§ 11 am – 12
§ Q & A hour
§ 1st hour of working days i.e. Monday to Friday
- A resolution seeking removal of VP can be originated only in Rajya Sabha
- Under article 249, it can shift an item of state list to union or concurrent list
- If RS passes a resolution by 2/3rdof majority of members present & voting, then it is expedient in national interest to create one or more all India services
- If Rajya Sabha returns the bill to Lok Sabha opposing the bill, then it is deemed to have passed.
- Rajya Sabha can send recommendations to Lok Sabha, but Lok Sabha is not bound to act on it.
- Also Rajya Sabha does not have pocket veto & if it does not passes the bill within 14 days, it is again deemed to have been passed by the house
No confidence Motion
- Unlike Lok Sabha, it cannot pass motion of no confidence against the government
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh holds various bilateral meetings on the sidelines of ADMM-Plus in Bangkok
Speaker, Lok Sabha Visits “Aadi Mahotsav” at Dilli Haat
- Aadi Mahotsav is a national tribal festivaland a joint initiative of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India & Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
- TRIFED came into existence in It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India.
- TRIFED has its registered and Head Officelocated in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
- The ultimate objective of TRIFED is socio-economic development of tribal peoplein the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products.
- The festival showcases traditional art and handicrafts and cultural heritage of the country.
- The themeof the festival is : “A celebration of the spirit of Tribal Craft, Culture and Commerce”. An effort is being made to take tribal commerce to the next level of digital and electronic transactions.
- Mahotsav will identify:
- Food and Forest Produces, which can be processed, value-added and marketed under the Van Dhan Schemeof the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Artisans and master craftsmen and women of Ladakh for empanelling them as suppliers of TRIBES India, a brand under the TRIFED.The products can then be marketed all over the country through the 104 retail outlets run by TRIBES India across the country and 190 countries across the world through Amazon, with whom TRIBES India has an agreement.
- In line with the national aspiration to go cashless, for the first time, the tribal artisans will be accepting payment through major credit/debit cardsfor which Point of Sale (POS) machines have been provided in each stall.