Registration of all motor vehicles stopped
Paper : General Studies 2
Why in news?
National Informatics Centre has blocked access for not integrating high security registration plate details with the ‘Vahan’ database.
What is Vahan database?
- Vahan collates all the information available with road transport authorities for easy access by both citizens and regulators.
- Data available with over 90 per cent of all road transport authorities have been computerised for this purpose.
- Vahan contains about 21.68 crore vehicle records in its repository.
- Vahan allows access to all details related to vehicles such as registration number, chassis/engine number, body/fuel type, colour, manufacturer and model and provides various online services to citizens.
- Driving Licence and related data are automated through a separate application called ‘Sarathi’.
Manufacturing PMI dips to 51.8 in April
Paper : General Studies 3, Prelims Specific
Why in news?
Manufacturing activity expanded at a slower rate in April compared to its levels in March based on Nikkei India Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index.
What is the Purchasing Managers’ Index?
- The Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) is an indicator of the economic health of the manufacturing sector.
- The PMI is based on five major indicators: new orders, inventory levels, production, supplier deliveries and the employment environment.
- The purpose of the PMI is to provide information about current business conditions to company decision makers, analysts and purchasing managers.
- Purchasing Managers Indexes (PMI) are economic indicators derived from monthly surveys of private sector companies.
- The data for the index are collected through a survey of 400 purchasing managers in the manufacturing sector on different fields, namely, production level, new orders from customers, speed of supplier deliveries, inventories, order backlogs and employment level.
- Respondents can report better, same or worse conditions than previous months. For all these fields the percentage of respondents that reported better conditions than the previous months is calculated.
- The percentages are multiplied by a weighing factor (the factors adding to 1) and are added.
- The PMI Data is published by Japanese firm Nikkei but compiled and constructed by Markit Economics.
- The variables used to construct India’s PMI for manufacturing sector are: Output, New Orders, Employment, Input Costs, Output Prices, Backlogs of Work, Export Orders, Quantity of Purchases, Suppliers‟ Delivery Times, Stocks of Purchases and Stocks of Finished Goods. Similar variables are used for the construction of services PMI.
Cyclone Fani to make landfall in Odisha today
Paper : General Studies 1, General Studies 3
Why in news?
Cyclone Fani is expected to make landfall in Odisha today. More than 800,000 people have been evacuated to safer areas from the coasts.
To read more on Cyclone Fani , read Current Affairs of April 26
Vice President releases a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan
Paper : Prelims Specific, General Studies 1
Why in news?
- Vice President, Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu released a postage stamp to commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan in New Delhi today.
- He said that our textbooks must throw light on the lives of great saints and spiritual icons such as Sri Vedanta Desikan so that our children internalize and practice the lofty ideals of humanism, peace and compassion propagated by them.
About Vedanta Desikan
- Sri Vedanta Desikan is one of the most prominent preceptors in the Srivaishnava tradition
- Venkatanatha, who later became Sri Vedanta Desikan, had mastered the Vedas, the Vedangas, the 4000 Divya Prabhanda and all the existing schools of Indian philosophy such as Nyaya, Vaisheshika, Purva Mimamsa, Yoga and Sankhya by the age of 20.
- He wrote poems, prose, drama, epics, commentaries, scientific texts and philosophical treatises in Sanskrit, Tamil, Prakrit and Manipravalam.
- He was celebrated as ‘sarva-tantra-svatantra’ or master of all arts and crafts; awarded the title‘kavi tarkika-kesari’, the lion amongst poets and logicians; and glorified as ‘ramanuja-daya-patram’, the recipient of Ramanuja’s blessings.
- His magnum opus, the Rahasya Traya Sara, is a masterly treatise on Prapatti or surrendering oneself to the divine.
- Other writings include Paduka Sahasram – mathematical treatise, Silpartha-saram, a treatise on sculpture, and Bhugola-nirnayam – a research text on geography, Aahaara Niyamam – food, ‘Subhashita Neevi’ contains a fund of moral and ethical advice.
About the Vice President
- Occupies second place in the warrant of precedence.
- He is the ex-officio Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- The Vice-President takes over the office of the President normally, under four situations: death of the President, resignation of the President, removal of the President from his office through impeachment or otherwise, and finally, when the President is unable to discharge his functions owing to absence, illness or any other cause.
- Term : His term in office is 5 years.
- Election : Elected indirectly by Electoral College, consisting of all Members of Parliament (Both elected & nominated)
- Removal : VP can be removed from his office by a resolution raised only in Rajya sabha, passed by effective majority and agreed to by simple majority of the Lok sabha.